Monday, October 11, 2010

New York Comic Con...Again

So this past weekend was the New York Comic Con, and It. Was. Awesome.


It was also lecherous. Very lecherous.

NYCC had so much stuff going on that I didn't get the chance to do a fraction of what I had hoped to get done. On the plus side, I did get to meet Bruce Campbell, who is extremely funny and seems like a really cool guy in general. On the negative, I didn't have the chance to catch any panels or see a lot of the writers/artists that I had hoped to see.

I'm totally digging how big the Con is getting, yet a little worried, too. If Comic Con International is a litmus test of things to come, NYCC will be getting way too big and way too mainstream for everyday comic nerds to attend. Hopefully, I'm completely wrong, and everyday, run of the mill fans won't be blocked out by various press outlets, mainstream venues trying to gain geek cred, and general overcrowding. That scenario is still a while off, but as Saturday tickets were sold out, I can only hope that the Con's showrunners are looking at possibly getting a larger venue in the near future.

Going into the City that morning, I was expecting my favorite part to be meeting the aforementioned Mr. Campbell. I've been a huge fan of his for years, so I was absolutely stoked to finally get a chance to speak with him, brief as it was. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this wasn't the highlight of the Con, however. That honor goes to meeting Nicki Clyne, who played Cally in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series. And I don't mean just meeting her at her signing both. I actually bumped into her on the floor, and we wound up talking for a little while. She was way cool and genuinely nice. Somebody totally jumped to the front of the celebrity crush line...

Booya

Long story short, it was an awesome Con. Cannot wait until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment