Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Women I Love - Spotlight: Madeline Kahn

The month of March is Women's History Month. As such, I will, from time to time, be posting blogs about women I love. Wellllllllll, admire. Love is a strong word, and as I don't actually know any of these women personally, that would be weird. But I digress... Anyways, here is one of the aforementioned blogs about a woman that I admire...

I kind of just want to write about this picture.

Madeline Kahn is probably the funniest woman of all time. Though she originally started as an actress on Broadway, she was, and will always, be known for the comedies she starred in in the '70's & '80's. During that period of time, she starred in a number of films with the great Gene Wilder and even became a regular in Mel Brooks's stable of top notch comedians.
"Oh my God. Woof."

With a distinctive, high pitched voice, amazing comic timing, and a great sense of humor about herself, Ms. Kahn made each role she played her own. Not only that, she stole every scene.
"Yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssss!"

Think about this: from 1972-1986, Madeline Kahn was in at least one movie every year. Sometimes she was in as many as three. She was like the Sam Jackson of comedies. And while I absolutely loved her in the movies she made with Brooks, my go to role for her is Mrs. White, in the criminally underrated 1985 comedy, Clue. Was it her best role? Probably not. But I used to watch it all the time when I was younger. And even today, I'll pop the DVD in when I need a laugh.
"I hated her so much... it-it- the f - it - flam - flames.
Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-
breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breath..."

We lost Ms. Kahn to ovarian cancer on December 3, 1999. She had only been diagnosed earlier that year. It was a tragic blow to the comedy world. But, we still have her movies, and I have to admit, as funny as the Ferrell/Rilley/McKay films can be, there was no better pairing than Kahn/Wilder/Brooks. Look at Young Frankenstein or, better yet, Blazing Saddles. I will leave you with this image:
Who knew comedy could be horrifyingly sexy?
Madeline did.

No comments:

Post a Comment