Friday, March 4, 2011

Itinerant Child

"The road is full of danger..."


My iTunes is jam packed with random music. It shakes things up so that when I press "random," I really, truly get random songs. Listening to Kimya Dawson's "Tree Hugger" got me thinking about what I want to do with my life. Being a hilarious, unknown internet comedy blogger quite literally does not pay the bills. Tragic, to be sure, but at least it's realistic. And substitute teaching and baking & short order cooking (?) on the weekends just barely does the trick. A big question being asked of me by oh so many people is "What do you want to do with your future?" The simple answer? I don't know.
Only two? That's quite limited.

The song ended, and I was hit with the jaunty proto/post-punk opening of Ian Dury & the Blockheads's "Itinerant Child." It was one of those random moments when a choir of angels descend from the subspace anomaly known as "Heaven." The song perfectly fit my mood and my wants. Granted, the song is more-or-less about a group of modern nomads who are very possibly on the wrong side of the law, but the spirit of the idea is the same. I don't see myself as a person who can be behind a desk or at a cubicle all day. While it is nice to have a routine, I feel as though I would lose my mind doing the same thing day in and day out.
It's also the genesis of lame pictures.

"What do you want to do with your future?" I want to travel. I want to try different things. I want to go cross country. See Perth. Open a greasy spoon, all-breakfast dive. Visit the Colosseum. Motorbike through England. Study at Trinity College. Be a traveling journalist. Have a safari adventure. Compete on the Amazing Race. Dominate Survivor. Be the party motivator on a cruise ship. Teach English in Costa Rica. Fight giant robots in Japan (that's a thing, right?). I want to get married. I want to have kids. Basically, I'm saying that it's not that I don't know what I want to do, because I want to do it all. It's just that I don't know what I want to do first.
This is a thing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment