Thursday, March 3, 2011

Women I Love - Spotlight: Beth Phoenix

The month of March is Women's History Month. As such, I will, from time to time, be posting blogs about women I love. Wellllllllll, admire. Love is a strong word, and as I don't actually know any of these women personally, that would be weird. But I digress... Anyways, here is one of the aforementioned blogs about a woman that I admire...


Glamazon

I have a crush on Beth Phoenix (stage name...obvi). Fact. I actually tweeted about this in a comical fashion (as per usual), and she retweeted it. You can click the link to check it out (and follow both of us). Before getting into the professional wrestling/sports entertainment world, Beth was an extremely accomplished freestyle wrestler. But, she relocated from Elmira to Buffalo, NY to train.
Planting the seeds to eventually join Jim Kelly
as Buffalo's favorite children.

Her first pro debut was against Alexis Laree (Mickie James) before competing for various indy promotions. Before being brought up to the main roster, Ms. Phoenix earned multiple championships for many different companies. As a show of her strength, she was known to take on both female and male wrestlers.
Dear Buffalo Bills, you're my favorite AFC team. Try
to get the Glamazon out of her WWE contract. She would
have steamrolled these three schmucks.
Love, Me.

In June of 2006, Beth debuted as an ally to Trish Stratus, who was then feuding with Mickie James (oh, hey, there's history there) during her creeper period. Unfortunately, she suffered a broken jaw, forcing her to take time to recover and then shake of the rust back in the minors. When she thankfully re-debuted a year later, she was billed not just as Beth Phoenix, but also with the (apt) moniker of the Glamazon.
And this is why you don't want to piss her off.

Only a few months later, on October 7, 2007, she won the WWE Women's Championship at their No Mercy pay-per-view. I was watching. But that's neither here nor there. That is what started the first Reign of the Glamazon, where she personified the WWE Diva tagline of "sexy, smart, powerful" (or is it "smart, sexy, powerful"? I can never remember).
I would have asked her to the Prom...
she then would have kicked my ass.
Result: totes worth it.

I must admit, my favorite era of Glamazonia was when she teamed up with the Milan Miracle, Santino Marella, as the team of Glamarella. Seriously, who knew that she could be so funny?
And badass. Badassly funny.

Like all good things, it came to an end, and Ms. Phoenix started back out on her own. Unfortunately, she's been off WWE programming for far too long. But, she'll be back to kicking ass on Smackdown (or Raw) sooner rather than later.
Seriously. She kicks ass. So. Much. Ass.

The combination of beauty and power are a very potent mixture. Look at Cleopatra. Delilah. Boudica. Eleanor of Aquitaine. Joan of Arc. Wonder Woman. Angelina Jolie (if you say she isn't, you're just fooling yourself). Beth Phoenix is another name you can add to your list. Sure, she'll beat the tar out of you, but as long as she doen't hit you below the belt it won't bother you.
Seriously Buffalo, the Glamazon wouldn't have shanked the field goal.

NOTE TO BETH PHOENIX: if you actually read this, I would be thrilled if you followed my blog (or at least left a comment). Or my Twitter. Or both. It would be the coolest. Keep kicking ass. I'll keep watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment