Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sir Michael Caine's Voice: More Pomp & Circumstance Than Morgan Freeman's

The First Hipster

When it comes to celebrity voices, there are two that are at the top of everybody's list: Morgan Freeman's and Sir Michael Caine's. They are both easily recognizable and probably the most impersonated voices of any other actor.
And Christopher Nolan got them.

Depending on what side of the Atlantic you're on probably determines whose voice you enjoy more. The Brits, I'm sure, enjoy the nasally, yet deep and knowing voice of Caine, whilst Americans go gaga over Freeman's deep, dulcet speech pattern.
Caine is also more intimidating.

Personally, I am a much bigger fan of Caine's voice than Freeman's. Not to say that I dislike the velvety Southern twang of Mr. Freeman, but there's just something comforting about Michael Caine's voice that places him higher. Not a lot of people know that.
Winning.

There's also the evolution of Caine's voice. When his career started, his voice was higher than it is now, and there was a bit more of a Cockney accent in there, as well. But, through the years, his voice has gotten a bit lower. A little slower. And, most importantly, more world-weary.
I blame all the run-ins with axes.

Michael Caine is awesome, but his voice is on a whole other level. I wish I could have Michael Caine as my butler, just so I could hear him give me the run down of my day, as well as offer sage pieces of advice that would come in handy when I need to figure out what the Joker would do next.
No, Master Bruce, I don't think he's robbing all
those banks just for the lollipops.

No comments:

Post a Comment