Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Drive: The Review

To sum it up into a neat, tidy phrase: Supah-Creepay…




As I said in my pre-review, the only thing that I really knew about the film going in was that it was supposed to be phenomenal. That’s an understatement.
BAMF

There’s a slow burn to the film, but that doesn’t make it any less enjoyable. In fact, in a movie where there aren’t any truly colorful characters, there was not a second where I was bored. Unnerved? Oh Hell yeah, but never bored.
Cranston!

Drive is the film I’ve been waiting to see for years. It’s a drama, to be sure, but it has great action scenes. It’s emotional without being sappy. The only thing that you should be warned about is that the violence comes on suddenly, it is graphic, and it is unapologetic. As you can probably tell, there isn’t enough that I can say about this film. My expectations were high, and they were far exceeded. This is THE best film of 2011. Well, until The Muppets come out. That movie is going to be cuh-razy awesome.
(Drools)

But, back on topic, I would be shocked if this film wasn’t nominated for Best Picture & Gosling wasn’t nominated for Best Actor. But the true highlight of the film was the sound. It goes from intense quiet to balls-out auditory carnage in the blink of an eye. It’s so fluid that you probably wouldn’t even realize it at first. And the soundtrack…


Wow. The music was ethereal & fantastic. It perfectly matched the film’s tone. About two minutes into it, there was a shouting in my brain, saying “I need this soundtrack. I need this soundtrack. I don’t care what the other songs are like, buy it.” It’s everything a soundtrack should be: it adds another layer to the composition of the film without distracting the person viewing it.
Though a clean shaven/non-make up Ron Perlman is always distracting.

My only complaint is the font of credits. I know, miniscule, right? But I couldn’t be over-blubbery about a film that’s supposed to be amazing to begin with, so I needed to find something to speak ill about. And it’s not that I don’t like them. It’s very Hart Foundation-y/Miami Vice, which I enjoy, but there’s only so much neon pink script on a black background that one man can take before he wants to rip his eyes out.
Albert Brooks might do it anyway.

And now, the rating (which will be shockingly serious):

Film – 5 out of 5 Stars
Soundtrack – 5 out of 5 Stars
Sense of Closure – 2 out of 5 Stars

*Please note: the lack of closure does in no way mean there will be a sequel. Please, all-powerful Science, don’t let them ruin this with a sequel.
Supah-Creepay

No comments:

Post a Comment