Wednesday, October 5, 2011

So, Steve Jobs Passed...


Well, I was sitting down, about to start writing this year's installment of the 31 Movies of Halloween, when social media told me of the passing of Steve Jobs. Facebook, Twitter, the blogosphere, news sites, et al. are awash in tributes to his genius. I stumbled upon this particular tweet, and it really resonated with me. "My daughter's really sad Steve Jobs died. For her generation, it's like losing Walt Disney."
Before the turtlenecks...

I have no idea who the man that tweeted that is, but it makes his (and his daughter's) sentiment no less true. Steve Jobs was like a modern day Walt Disney (and I'll let the obvious Pixar-related humor fall to the wayside). Think about it: who else, in their respective fields, in their respective times, revolutionized their craft as much as both of those men? Who brought more joy to the masses? With each new product they put out, who else made so many adults feel like kids again? And with each man's passing, how can you not but feel a little bit of the loss yourself?


I sit here, pecking away on my Macbook. My iPhone sitting beside it. I've got an iPod hooked up to my car's stereo, and a 1st generation iPod Nano for when I'm working out. There are Pixar movies in my DVD racks. And, honestly, the first computers I really even remember using were either the old Apple IIe or IIc. Sorry, I'm a little hazy on that. Needless to say, Job's influence has had a profound influence on my life.


And I've heard the stories. I've heard the rumors. I'm not here to say he was a good man. I'm not writing to say he was a bad man. I'm just writing to memorialize a genius, an innovator, and a great man.
And then there was one...

If you visit the Apple website, you will get a memorial page featuring the picture and graphic at the top of this article. Clicking brings you to this message:




Thank you Mr. Jobs, for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment