Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Greatest Fake Bands of All Time: Part 1

There are lots of movies and TV shows about fake musical groups/singers/bands. Some are abysmal.
Jaberjaw would definitely eat the rest of The Neptunes.


Others are great.
Yes Virginia, there is a band called Buckaroo Banzai & the Hong Kong Cavaliers.


And sometimes they leave a lasting impression and ingrain themselves into the popular lexicon.
So thug.


These are some of those bands.


22. Chemical Toilet - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Sorry Frank, there is no dubious double meaning for "The Pecan Sandies."


In the episode "Sweet Dee is Dating a Retarded Person," the Gang ties to start up several iterations of Chemical Toilet. As all of these characters have strong personalities, they cannot stage personas that mesh well. The initial lineup is Dennis on vocals, Mac on guitar, and Frank on drums. Dennis looks like a relic from the 70's & 80's glam scene, Mac is a Johnny Rotten rip-off, and Frank dresses like a Beatle (complete with mop top wig).
Check out that group of non-threatening men.


Mac & Frank kick Dennis out, and bring Charlie into the fold, as they find that he is a Rain Man-like idiot savant when it comes to music. Also, he wants to be Bob Dylan.
Imagine if Bob Dylan and The Band looked like that? Ugh.

Mac & Frank again kick out the frontman and eventually get booed off of the stage, as neither of them know how to play an instrument.


21. Drive Shaft - Lost
Ladies & Gentlemen: Oasis!


Drive Shaft was the one-hit wonder band that Charlie Pace was a member of in Lost. Their song "You All Everybody" was a smash hit, but the success of it, paired with infighting and the inability to produce at the same level, caused their eventual split.
Also, heroin.


With all of the various media tie-ins to Lost, I still can't believed they never actually released the song as a single.


20. Noddy Comet
Noddy Comet in his later years. Oh so British.

Noddy Comet was the glam rock alter ego of Gordon Gordon Wyatt (played by the always amazing Stephen Fry) on Bones. While we never actually see or hear his band perform, we do find out a little about the pre-psychologist Wyatt, and Seeley Booth was a big fan of his back in the day. Why is he on this list? HIS NAME IS NODDY COMET! SO ACE!


19. Cylon & Garfunkel
Wordplay!

A Cylon is a robot bent on the extinction of humanity in Battlestar Galactica. Art Garfunkel used to be a famous musician, who was completely eclipsed by his partner, Paul Simon.
It's all just hits!

This duo hails from the genius/demented minds of the writers of Futurama. All I have to say is that this pairing is comic gold.
Why are there more of these fake covers!?

All I know is that I'd listen to them.
I think this is a real picture of Art Garfunkel and a Cylon. What the Hell?

18. Autobahn - The Big Lebowski
I want this concert poster.

I love The Big Lebowski, so it was just a matter of time before this one showed up. Long story short, years after german electronic band Autobahn failed to hit the big time, these nihilists stage a fake kidnapping hoping to make a big payday.
Ve bell-if nut-zing, Lebowski! Giff us zee monies!


17. Otis Day & the Knights
The face that launched a thousand toga parties...

Otis Day & the Knights were created as a fictional band in the classic college comedy Animal House. You will remember them for singing the riotous version of "Shout" during the epic toga party sequence.
A little bit louder now.

In an amazingly meta way, the film's popularity propelled the fake band into real (moderate) stardom. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, Otis Day & the Knights went legit. As far as I know, they still play together.
Now, wai-ai-ai-ai-ai-ai-t a minute...

16. Electric Dream Machine - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Ah-Ah-Ah!


Electric Dream Machine was birthed from the same episode as Chemical Toilet. In fact, it is comprised of CT's cast-offs: Dennis and Charlie. Though completely backwards, this pairing actually had something going for it, musically. As he is completely self-absorbed, Dennis makes a perfect frontman, while, as previously stated, Charlie actually knows how to play music.
The face of genius.

Their song "Dayman" has become a breakout hit on the internet, as well as pop culture, and was even called back in the musical episode (or, more aptly, the episode where they perform a musical). As awesome as the song is, Electric Dream Machine still gets booed off the stage during their one and only performance.
I even have the t-shirt...

To Be Continued.

2 comments:

  1. I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. +2349056460552   I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number ‪+2349056460552He can also cure so many sickness{1}HIV And AIDS {2}Diabetes{3}Epilepsy {4}Blood Cancer {5}HPV {7}ALS {8}Hepatitis


    ReplyDelete