Monday, May 28, 2012

Review: Dead Hooker In A Trunk. Also: Meet the Soska Sisters

One of the top 5 posters ever. Fact.
After having to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, I finally got Dead Hooker in a Trunk from Netflix. It had been sitting at the top of my DVD queue for weeks with that dreaded "Very Long Wait" notification next to it, which, needless to say, left me quite disheartened. Thusly, when it showed up in my mailbox, I was quite thrilled. Looking back at the last few sentences, it may be one of the most poorly constructed paragraphs I've ever written. And for that, I'm sorry. Let me kind of start this again.
Meet your new indie flick masters...mistresses...wait, that sounds pretty S&M-ish...
Dead Hooker in a Trunk was written, directed, & produced by the "Twisted Twins," Jen and Sylvia Soska, who also star in the film. Right there shows the dedication that these two women have for their vision, not to mention their craft as a whole. Saying that the film was made on a shoestring budget would be like saying Kristen Stewart has an expansive range of emotions. But the Soska Twins make it work. In fact, the lessons learned from Robert Rodriguez's book "Rebel Without a Crew" (a book that also shares space on my bookshelf) are quite evident. And boy, do these ladies make sure that they get every last bang for their buck.
I feel that trying to explain this picture will ruin the amazingness of this scene. Also: don't ask about the duct tape over Jen's eye. Nobody likes spoilers.
Let me vague up a summary for the three people who read this: The film deals with two sisters (and their respective friends) that find a hooker. Dead. In their trunk. I can only describe what happens after is a series of unfortunate events. Crap, that was a Daniel Handler (Lemony Snicket) book. I'll just toss out some buzz words to pique your interest (if, for some reason, it isn't already): dismemberment, disembowelment, cyclops, home dentistry, twinning, sociopaths, sheep-lover, muscle car, serial killer, chainsaw-wielding Asians.
Cowboy Pimps. Almost forgot Cowboy Pimps.
And now, the numbers:
Film - 4 out of 5 Stars
Awesomeness - 7 out of 5 Jon Hamms (face it: nobody's as awesome as Hamm)
Grindhouse-i-ness - 5 out of 5 Overexposed, Scratchy Reels

Clearly, I can't say enough about this movie.
I can't wait for this to come out.
American Mary is their next project, which was just shown at Cannes.Unlike the grindhouse/exploitation feel of Dead Hooker, Mary is going to be a horror flick. Made by Canadian Twins. Who grew up reading the work of Stephen King. The Soska Sisters might be the best people ever. It's going to be awesome.

Now, I went to school for film, but haven't produced (well, finished) anything since college, which is a shame, because this film made me remember how much I love it.  So there's a good chance that I'm going to be going back to working like a mad man on my shockingly historically accurate Nazi Western script. And for that, I want to say thank you to Sylvia & Jen.

Also, if anybody who reads this (so nobody) knows of any comic artists that are looking for an awesome project to work on, have them get in contact with me.

Anywho, go see it, be it Netflix or through IFC Midnight or better yet: buy it on Amazon. I just did last night. Like 20 minutes after I finished watching the movie. For realsies. Should be getting here Wednesday. While you wait for the DVD to get to you, follow the Soska's exploits on their website, their Blog, or follow them on Twitter @twisted_twins.

No comments:

Post a Comment