Thursday, February 2, 2012

Music You Should Be Listening To: Supporting a Friend

The NJ music scene is a pretty damn active one, and we can claim a great many acts as Jersey alumni: Springsteen, Bon Jovi, The Smithereens, the Bouncing Souls, Gaslight Anthem, Streetlight Manifesto, Thursday, Midtown, Sinatra, Frankie Valli & the 4 Seasons, Whitney Houston, Fugees, My Chemical Romance, Count Basie, The Sugarhill Gang. And that's the tip of the iceberg.

On top of that, Nj is full of great venues to see shows at, few more well known than the Starland Ballroom. It's a place where both up & comers and A-Listers perform. And I'm proud to say that two of my buddies will be playing there on February 11. But that's not the best part. They're opening for funk legend (and Jersey native) George Clinton. Mr. P-Funk himself. The guy that you played as in NBA Jam on your SEGA Genesis, but didn't know where he was from. That George Clinton. So, this week, I'm dedicating my "Music You Should Be Listening To" to my buddies' show and, really, making this a commercial. I never said I'd never sell out if given the opportunity.

Milan:
I've known Milan for years, growing up on the mean streets of North Plainfield. He's become a bit of a local celebrity, even having a sandwich named for his band at a local eatery. He's the lead singer/guitarist for Milan & the Sour Goat, and to say that his musical stylings are roots, rock, reggae is an understatement. And, as far as I know, he'll be performing solo.

Garden State Line:
GSL is one of the bands that my close friend Tam is a part of, the other being Becoming the Ghost, on top of which he also has his solo work. GSL is a mainstay on Rukus Radio, and their audience has been steadily growing in the New Brunswick music scene. In fact, they've also been making a beachhead in small NYC venues. GSL has a funky-blues-rock sound, and I must say, I'm very proud of my broski. And his luxurious mane.

George Clinton:
What can I say about George Clinton that you can't already tell by this picture?
Nothing. I've got nothing to say.

Once again: George Clinton featuring Garden State Line and Milan will be performing at the Starland Ballroom on Saturday, February 11. Ticket, as of this writing, are still on sale & can be purchased for the low price of $20. If you happen to know Milan or a member of GSL, there's a chance that they still have tickets. If not, you can get them online. If you're in the area, hope to see you at the show.

BONUS:
I royally screwed up last week with my cover song post & omitted a great song (and a decent cover by a great artist). Mea culpa and please forgive me.

Mr. Blue Sky:
Imagine, if you will, a rainy day. Maybe you have a cold. Maybe you can't find your favorite hoodie. Whatever the case, some minor, yet persistent tragedy has befallen you. You just can't shake the doldrums out. Whatever shall you do? You put on the radio (okay, iTunes/iPod/3rd party mp3 player), of course, and what do you hear? Happiness. Happiness is what you hear emanating from your speakers. And why is that, you ask? Because Mr. Blue Sky by the British symphonic rock band Electric Light Orchestra is playing. And if that doesn't put a smile the size of the Ol' 96er on your face, you must already be dead inside. Also, Lily Allen did a cover of it.

The Original:

The Cover:

Lily Allen's was good, but sorry, luv, you cannot top ELO. Nine times out of ten, you can't top ELO.

No comments:

Post a Comment